Eimelrod Church

  • Church
The Romanesque church in Eimelrod was first mentioned in 1310

As early as the 12th century, a Romanesque predecessor church stood on this site – the current one was first mentioned in 1310. The nave was rebuilt from the ground up in 1827. The medieval tower had to be demolished in 1909 due to dilapidation; the new tower was erected in its present form in 1928. A tympanum relief from the previous church is housed in the new tower. Of the pulpit altar, created by Josias Wolrat Brützel in 1697, only the pulpit remains in the church today; the two side wings are housed in the local history museum. Korbach.
 
A small Jewish community existed in Eimelrod from the 18th century until 1938; in the surrounding principality of Waldeck, Jews were not allowed from sunset to sunrise. In 1830, 34 Jewish residents lived in the village; in 1871, there were only 10 (out of a total of 307 inhabitants), and in 1895 and 1905, 15 each (out of 401 and 417 respectively). In 1924, there were 20 (out of a total of 486 inhabitants), and in 1933, 14 Jewish people still lived in Eimelrod (out of a total of 484 inhabitants). After that, some of them moved away or emigrated. In 1939, only two Jewish residents remained in the village, who were deported in 1941 via the "collection camp" in Wrexen.[21]
 
Community facilities included a synagogue, a religious school, a ritual bath, and a cemetery covering 11,38 acres. The small synagogue was probably built around 1780. It had 24 seats for men and 16 for women. It had no electric light, and was illuminated by stable lanterns. Even after the number of Jewish residents declined rapidly after 1933, services were still occasionally held in the synagogue until 1938. The building was completely destroyed in the November pogrom of 1938; the burned-out ruins were demolished in 1939.

Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eimelrod

Good to know

Opening hours

fitness

  • for any weather

  • Target group seniors

  • for groups

  • for school classes

  • for families

  • for individual guests

  • for children (any age)

Foreign languages

German, English

Possible ways to pay

Eintritt frei

Arrival & Parking

By car via the B251
Public transport: Bus/train to train station Willingen, continue by bus or call-a-taxi (various stops in all districts)

Learn more

Opening hours may vary, please contact the parish office.

Contact person: in

Parish of Rhena-Eimelrod
Pastor Kai-Uwe Schröter
Violinenstrasse 19
34508 Willingen (Upland)

author

Tourist information Willingen
On Hagen 10
34508 Willingen (Upland)

Organization

Tourist information Willingen

License (master data)

Tourist information Willingen Am Hagen 10 34508 Willingen (Upland) Tel. +49 5632 / 9694353
License: Attribution, Share Alike